Poverty headcount ratio at $5.50 a day (2011 PPP) (% of population)
Varies by region.
Equivalent to 21,890 Pakistani rupees per worker per month (rural areas of Sialkot).
Global Living Wage Coalition, 2019
Equivalent to 25,806 Pakistani rupees per worker per month (urban areas of Sialkot).
Global Living Wage Coalition, 2019
Equivalent to 52,771 Pakistani rupees per worker per month for workers in rural area of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
Global Living Wage Coalition, 2021
Employment in agriculture (% of total employment) (modeled ILO estimate)
Agriculture, forestry, and fishing, value added (% of GDP)
Pakistan has a population of approximately 221 million people, with 63% of its citizens living in rural areas and the remaining 37% in urban centers. Agriculture employs 37% of the working population and accounts for 23% of the country's GDP.
Despite Pakistan's high levels of agricultural production, the country is still burdened with high levels of food insecurity. Small scale farmers face many challenges, including significantly small holdings, limited access to markets, credit and resources, as well as minimal off-farm employment opportunities. In addition, high agricultural production has put pressure on the country's water resources, with roughly 90% of water resources used by the agricultural sector. Natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes, landslides and droughts are also a recurring problem in the country. 
The minimum wage in Pakistan varies by province, hence the minimum wage for unskilled workers ranges from 17,500 Pakistani rupees (89 EUR) per month to 25,000 Pakistani rupees (127 EUR) per month. Although the minimum wage is higher than the World Bank estimate for poverty level income, it does not apply to workers in the agricultural sector, informal sector or domestic workers. The same goes for other benefits required for formally employed workers, such as the legal 48-hour workweek, overtime pay, annual and sick leave, health care, education for workers' children, social security or old-age benefits. The specificity of labor laws and the lack of enforcement result in employers failing to comply with acceptable working conditions, working hours and wages. Thus, the types of workers mentioned above are extremely vulnerable to exploitation and have little access to labor courts to seek redress for grievances. 
The Global Living Wage Coalition has developed 2 regional Living Wage Benchmarks based on the Anker methodology for rural and urban Sialkot, in Pakistan, and 1 Living Income Benchmark for rural Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
The living wage for rural Sialkot, Pakistan is 21,890 Pakistani rupees (111 EUR) per month. This estimate is based on a family of 5.5 with 1.65 full-time workers working in rural sports-ball manufacturing areas. The living wage benchmark for urban Sialkot, Pakistan is 25,806 Pakistani rupees (130 EUR) per month and is based on a family of 5 with 1.53 full-time workers working in urban sports-ball manufacturing areas. Sialkot is one of the largest manufacturing centers in Pakistan, specifically in sports-ball manufacturing, hence these 2 benchmarks are focused on sports-ball manufacturing workers.
According to the original 2015 living wage benchmark study the estimated living wages are much higher than the prevailing average wage in the sports ball industry in Sialkot. In the case of rural Sialkot, the estimated living wage was more than twice the prevailing average wage in rural Sialkot. 
Similarly, the 2 estimated living wage benchmarks are above the minimum wage of 20,000 Pakistani rupees (102 EUR) set for unskilled workers in Punjabi province, where Sialkot district is located.
The estimated living income in rural Khyber Pakhtunkhwa for a family of 6 with 1.48 workers is 52,771 Pakistani Rupee (269 EUR) per month. The focus of this study is on tobacco farmers, as Pakistan is the one of the largest producers of tobacco in the world. Tobacco is mainly grown in the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province, and the study was conducted in the Charsadda, Mardan and Swabi districts. A living wage for the region was also estimated at 35,831 Pakistani Rupee (181 EUR) per month.
The living income is 94% higher than the family income at the national poverty line and 104% higher than the family income at Khyber Pakttunkhwa's minimum wage.
Living income estimates, including living wage estimates, that workers in rural Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP), Pakistan need to receive each month to afford a basic but decent living.